What documents do I need?

Depending on the visa category and length of stay you’re applying for, the supporting documents you will need to supply to support your application will vary slightly.

Documents you will need to supply for all visa categories:

Visa application form – the majority of Schengen Member States offer their visa application form online.

Original passport – passport must be valid for a minimum of 90 days beyond your return date from the Schengen Area. Passport must also contain at least two blank pages

Passport photocopy – you must also supply a photocopy of your passport’s bio and picture page.

Copy of residency permit – if you are applying for a Schengen visa in a country other than that of your passport, you must supply a copy of your residency permit. Your residency permit must also be valid for 90 days beyond your return date form the Schengen Area should you be intending to return to that country following your stay in the Schengen area.

Proof of employment status (all types of letters must be signed and dated within 1 month of time of submission):

    • Proof of employment – letter from employer attesting your employment status.
    • Proof of unemployment – a job centre, or equivalent, letter attesting your status as unemployed.
    • Proof of retirement – a pension letter proving your status as retired.
    • Proof of self-employment – a letter from accountant, banker or solicitor attesting your status of self-employed.
    • Proof of full-time education – letter from your school, college or university. This must include your course of study, hours per lesson and attendance record.

Payslips – last 3 months’ payslips (this is not applicable to those in full time education).

Proof of funds – 3 months-worth of bank statements. The statement must show a minimum amount equal to £50.00 per day in the Schengen Area. Bank statement must show full name and address.

Passport photograph – photograph must have been taken in the last 6 months.

Insurance – insurance must cover medical expenses including emergency hospital treatment, repatriation and death. The insurance must be valid across all Member States and cover for a minimum of £30,000

Additional documents required for Tourist Visa applications:

Travel tickets – travel ticket must show you entering and exiting the Schengen Area.

Accommodation proof – this must show proof of accommodation for your entire stay in the Schengen Area. If you are applying for a long-stay visa, then you must show proof of accommodation for a minimum of the first 90 days. If you are staying with family or friends, then you will need to supply an invitation letter and a copy of residency permit or passport.

Additional documents required for Business Visa applications:

Business invitation letter – invitation letter must come from a company located in a Schengen Member state.

Additional documents required for Study Visa applications:

Proof of enrolment – you must be able to produce proof of enrolment in an educational establishment in the Schengen Area.

Additional documents required for National Visa Category D applications:

Two application forms – when applying for a National D visa, you are required to produce two copies of your application form.

Study – if you are applying for a National D visa for the purpose of long-term (90 days plus) study, you must supply proof of enrolment at an EU educational establishment.

Work – if you are applying for a National D visa for the purpose of long-term (90 days plus) work, you must supply an employment contract.