Tourist Visas for the EU

A Tourist Schengen Visa permits the holder to enter the Schengen Area for tourist purposes. Tourist purposes include, but are not exclusive to, holiday making, visiting family and friends and religious visits. By no means can the holder of a Schengen visa undertake business or work activities.
A tourist visas permit a third-country national to enter the Schengen region for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Schengen visas are categorised as either “A”, “C” "D". Category A visas are Airport Transit Visas, they permit the holder to transit through the international transit zone of a Schengen member states’ airport when travelling from one non-Schengen country to a second non-Schengen country.

Category C visas are short-term Schengen visas which are defined by their validity and entries permitted. Category C visas are issued with either single, double or multiple entries permitted.

Applying for a Tourist Visa

To which Schengen member state’s authorities the visa application is made to, will depend on your travel plans. If you are only visiting one Schengen country, then your Schengen visa application should be made to the authorities of that one country.
If you are entering more than one Schengen member state, then your Schengen visa application should be made to the authorities of the member state that is your main destination country. Your main destination country is defined as the member state you will be in the longest. If you are in a number of countries for a same number of days then your main destination country will be defined as the country you enter first.

British Passport Holders

British passport holders are permitted to enter any and all Schengen member state regions visa-free for tourist purposes for up 90 days in any 180-day period. Should a British national’s stay in the Schengen area exceed 90 days in any 180-day period then they would need to obtain a D category of visa.