Study Visas for the EU

In order to undertake an educational course in the Schengen Area third-country nationals must obtain a Study Schengen Visa. A Study Schengen Visa permits the holder to enter the Schengen area to study on an official course for up to 90 days.
Should the length of the course and the stay exceed 90 days then the student is required to obtain a National Visa Category D. The National D Visa permits the holder to stay in the Schengen Member State for period exceeding 90 days and up to 1 year. Should the total length of the worse exceed 1 year then extensions can be applied for.
Once the National D Visa is issued it does permit the holder to travel between Schengen countries. D visas can be either single or multiple entry.
If you also wish to undertake paid work alongside your studies, then you should ensure that this is permitted under the laws of your host country. In some Schengen countries the authorities would expect you to also obtain a work visa from the host countries government. Other countries in the Schengen regions, including France, permits the holder of a Schengen Student Visa or a Category D National Visa for study to undertake a set amount of paid work alongside their studies without the need to obtain a secondary visa.

Applying for a National D Visa

As the stay exceeds that of 90 days, the jurisdiction is beyond that of the Schengen Agreement and the visa is applied for and issued by the individual country to which you are intending to study.
Documents required as part of the application process do vary from country to country, with some countries needing wither pre-authorisation from the foreign office in the country of intended travel or the legalisation of degree or qualification certificates.

British Passport Holders

Now Britain are no longer in the EU and part of the Erasmus Scheme, British passport holders will now be required to obtain the relevant study visa prior to the start of their course. If you started your course prior to the 1st January 2021 then your visa requirements will stay as they were pre-Brexit until the end of your course.
The UK authorities have announced the inception of a new worldwide study scheme, The Turing Scheme, which is due to start in September 2021. British nationals’ visa requirements for study may change following the start of the Turing Scheme.
British passport holders must apply for a National D visa should their stay in a Schengen country exceed 90 days in any 180-day period.