Business Visas for the EU

A Business Schengen Visa permits the holder to enter the Schengen Area to undertake activities.

Business activities include, but are not exclusive to, attending business meetings, negotiating contracts, attending conferences and undertake job interviews. Should the number of entries issued on the visa and the visa validity permit, tourist activities can be undertaken.

A business visas permit a third-country national to enter the Schengen region for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Schengen visas are categorised as either “A”, “C” or "D". Category A visas are Airport Transit Visas, they permit the holder to transit through the international transit zone of a Schengen member states’ airport when travelling from one non-Schengen country to a second non-Schengen country.

Category C visas are short-term Schengen visas which are defined by their validity and entries permitted. Category C visas are issued with either single, double or multiple entries permitted.

For category D visas, please our pages related to either work visas or long stay visas.

Applying for a Business Visa

To which Schengen member state’s authorities the visa application is made to, will depend on your travel plans. If you are only visiting one Schengen country, then your Schengen visa application should be made to the authorities of that one country.
If you are entering more than one Schengen member state, then your Schengen visa application should be made to the authorities of the member state that is your main destination country. Your main destination country is defined as the member state you will be in the longest. If you are in a number of countries for a same number of days then your main destination country will be defined as the country you enter first.

British Passport Holders

British passport holders are permitted to enter any and all Schengen member state regions visa-free for tourist purposes for up 90 days in any 180-day period.

Should a British national’s stay in the Schengen area exceed 90 days in any 180-day period then they would need to obtain a D category of visa.